Finding A Shared Host
For those wanting to set up a Web site on a budget, finding a good shared host is key. A hosting company that can guarantee close to 100% server uptime, is scalable, and has reasonable charges are among the most immediately obvious demands.
Other questions that must be asked while searching for a shared Web host:
1. Is the Web host capable of supporting the number of expected users? What kind of server do they employ, and how does the technology compare to the competition?
2. What technical skills and level of experience do the system administrators bring to the business?
3. What do other Webmasters using the host's services have to say? Check as many references as possible. Browse the sites maintained by the host at both peak and off-peak hours to check response times.
4. How does the host connect to the Internet? It should be at least a T3 connection, with sufficient bandwidth dedicated to the Web site's needs.
5. Can the host provide technical support through a toll-free line 24 hours a day?
6. Does the host have an alternate route for Internet traffic if the main line is down?
7. What happens in case of a server failure? Will the Web host be able to recover lost data? Will valuable business data be lost? Will the Web host offer any compensation if there are interruptions in service, especially if these interruptions cause business losses?
8. Is the company the owner of the servers the Web site will be stored on, or are they merely resellers of an existing service?
9. What other content is stored on the host's servers? Web hosts that allow adult sites to be hosted on their servers should be avoided, as the traffic on those kinds of sites can negatively impact the performance of other sites.
10. What services are actually necessary? Only those services that are required should be purchased. Paying for unused services is a waste of money.
These are not all easy questions. Many Web hosts are reluctant to answer these questions directly. Some will try to obfuscate their answers with Web jargon. An Internet professional should be employed to avoid this if necessary.
Trusted friends, family, or other business professionals who have good experience with a specific Web host can save a lot of time in such a search by immediately pointing out a quality business.
The top 10 Web Hosting Sites for Small Business
Provided below are the top 10 web hosting companies that will enable you host your business website such as your eCommerce websites, PHP websites, WordPress sites and even your personal websites such as your blogs.